Pages

Search blog and web

Things your parents did that you hated, but...

...in the end they made you stronger.

Posting in a different thread lately caused some old thoughts to surface. Not a terrible thing, but mental movies playing in my head that I haven't thought about since I had to face some emotional demons on my path to enlightenment.

none of this really bothers me at the moment, because I killed those devils long ago. But it's strange how the mind works recalling things.

As some history, my mother was physically abusive. So was my grandmother. They were both past the edge of nutso.
For instance, if one of us spilt some milk, then my mother used to line us all up, facing the wall, and beat us with a belt until we said sorry enough. Not just the accused, we all took punishment for one another ( I learned at the very young age of 6 to just admit to anything right off the bat, and take the 10 straps across the back for being the one that caused it all..after looking at the panic and fear on my younger sisters face-and to spare her the coming pain).

Then my grandmother....I was staying over there one weekend...and I was able to take my bike over there too. I was about 8, and goofing around and trying to jump curbs, I wiped out, but bent my pedal. In retrospect...if you were a third person watching a movie at what happened next, it would probably be a funny gag scene. I took my bike back to the house. But my grandma looked at me, then at my bike, and turned around. What I didn't notice when she turned around, as I bent over to grab my shoes or something, was the mop she picked up, and took a swing across my back. I remember feeling it, and also hearing the splintering of the wood. What I don't remember is the 40 minute drive back home after I woke up in my own bed.

Anyways...back to the topic. While these things definitely stunted my emotional growth, and created my own crazy that i had to overcome...money can't buy the bond between my sister and I. And strangely enough...we never run out of stories to talk about when we meet up at family functions....and laugh at the crazy.:rolleyes:

I guess looking back at a positive, us siblings have a strong sense of loyalty towards each other, and I guess that's something that makes us stronger, in the end.:)

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment