Pages

Search blog and web

Married to OCD

My husband has OCD. We got married in our early twenties and had been together for 5 years. I knew that he had a history of OCD which he said started and ended on his early teens. Since he did not struggle with it the entire time we were together, I didn't worry about it. After getting married 2 years ago, his OCD seemed to come back full swing after over 10 years with no issues. He doesn't have OCD in the sense of cleaning too much or organization. His OCD revolves around worries about my safety and his relationships. For example, every time he goes over a bump in the road, he panics thinking he hit a person. The fear is that if he hits a person, he'll go to jail and be away from me, so he will panic or drive around the block multiple times to make sure it wasn't a person. That's just one example of these irrational fears and behaviors. Others have to do with locks, light switches, conversations with friends he is afraid of offending, etc.

My biggest concern is that he refuses to get help. He constantly looks to me for validation or to talk through his fears. Nobody else in his life knows about his OCD but me so I feel really alone. He wants me to be the one he talks through his worries with. He refuses to get professional help because he thinks he will be put into a governmental database and his rights like gun ownership taken away down the road. I'm at my wits end. I think my role needs to be his wife- to support him, love him, encourage him, and experience life with him. I can't be his counselor because it is really damaging our relationship. I find myself viewing him as a child I need to take care of or a friend than my husband. Are there any suggestions out there for spouses with mental health issues they refuse to get treatment for??
Posted via Mobile Device

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment