Pages

Search blog and web

Communication in a foreign language

Hello, I am a foreign woman, I was born and raised in N.Europe. I traveled as a student and met my future husband in U.S. I have lived here for few years, I am happily married (in general) and enjoy my job. But, there s always a but. My problem is I sometimes feel I can't truly express myself, language is first, different customs is second. I don't fit in for 100%

I wonder about other international couples and how they feel about it. It feels like because English is my husbands first language but it is second for me I often don't stand a chance in discussions and feel limited in expressing my points of views.

At first I thought that different native language is not going to be an issue but more in the relationship and as years pass (we have been together for 4 years) the discussions become more serious and sophisticated and I can't keep up my verbal skills.

I know there are a lot of international relationships out there, I wonder how they make it work long term. Do I really just need to read/write/go to English class OR accept that this is never going to be as effortless as a communication in my native tongue.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment