Pages

Search blog and web

Husband's Job Issues Weighing on Me

Hey all! I'll try and keep it brief, however, I always get long-winded. (I figure the more backstory up front, the better, I guess.)

So...I've made similar posts before, but these issues have taken a sort of new turn and I'm just seeking some perspective.

My husband and I moved to a new city almost a year ago now. We decided to move closer to family, I got a job first and we moved.
I have a well-paid full time job, I also have a well-paying freelance gig that I've been doing since April and will probably wind down the end of the month. I have been the bread-winner for the past 3 years.

Both my husband and I have Bachelor degrees...mine more specific than his. His is Business (kind of general.) Since we've moved here, my husband has had 2 jobs through a staffing agency. First job offered him a full-time position (more responsibility, more work, etc) but wouldn't give him a raise. (Job paid $12 an hour.) Second job concluded on him with only a week's notice (it ended last week.) Also, he quit that first job without another job to back it up because he was so frustrated (after he asked me what I thought...I said "You should probably wait." but he just up and quit anyway.)

So, basically...here we are in our early 30's (well, I'll be 30 soon, he's already 30) and I am sickened by my husband's job/career situation.

I know he feels like a failure/loser because at 30, this is not where he wants to be.

I told him when we moved that I'm in the position to support us while he figures his stuff out. I have done this gladly while he is underemployed/earning low wages...I did not expect it to still be going on nearly a year later.

I used to try and "help" him get to where he wants to be (aka, "successful") but found out, my version of "helping" was simply tantamount to nagging in his eyes. I have since just shut my mouth and let him flail.

I also feel like he's pretty lazy in job searching and has a "just good enough to get by" mentality.

He's told me that he wants "financial security" (I want it too) and his method of getting there is to "wait for his hard work to be rewarded." My thinking is...that "waiting" approach has gotten him to exactly where he is now...isn't it time for a new approach?

So, to anyone who's been through this...
1.) How do I talk to my husband about how I'm feeling when I know he's already hurting? What do I even say? (My biggest fear is that this will just keep happening...)
2.) How can I say anything to him about this without making the situation worse?
3.) Better yet, how can I just deal with it and put these emotions at bay?
4.) Are my frustrations even valid? I guess I fell in love with a man who was brilliant, ambitious, driven...and over the years he's become complacient with whatever situation in which he's involved.

This is not a "Who's right/Who's wrong?!" kind of situation. My husband and I communicate openly about most everything...but this...from my past mistakes in "helping" coupled with him already feeling bad (at least I believe he does...) and me just feeling sick over it and the frustration mounting...what do I do?

Any advice from anyone who's been in a similar situation would be absolutely amazing. Thanks everyone!




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment