Pages

Search blog and web

A surreal, and thought-provoking moment

I think social is probably a better place than the politics forum for this since I'm not taking a position other that just pointing out the effect this had on me ...

Yesterday, my wife, son and I were out for a very fun evening, when I heard that unmistakable sound of fighter jets. I'm a veteran of the US armed forces and served first in the army, then later in the Air Force. I usually like seeing fighter jets, but I couldn't see them when I first heard them.

Then, my location hit me hard ... and it was a deep, challenging moment. I searched the sky with new interest, and sure enough, a few seconds later, a fighter jet streaked into view and made a turn. Another fighter joined in the turn and they began creating a formation using the exact same move and tactic that I've seen hundreds of times on US air force bases - I was obviously close to an air force base. And of course, the most notable thing as I saw this was the shape of the planes I was watching perform this ... and what, up until that moment, I had always thought of that particular silhouette on the sky, something I had, up until that moment, only seen in pictures ... and I had to think back to a couple of very tense times in my life when that silhouette, though unseen by me, was likely very similar to what was the other side of our tension ...

It was truly a surreal moment, and it's one that really challenged me ... reminded me of the work I have to do and the tiny, but important part I have to play with the opportunities before me if the world is to become the kind of place I hope it can become for my grandkids.

I dunno why I'm posting this now that I've written it. It may be one I don't leave up for long. I'm not so unique here. It was just such a surreal moment for me.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment