Pages

Search blog and web

Feeling guilty about wife working

My wife and I are right around 40 years old, have been married for 4 years now, and live comfortably as a two-income family (we have a 10mo girl and hope to have another child sometime in next year). My income is about double my wife's.

My wife works hard as a sports instructor and although she works indoors in a comfortable environment, she is on her feet most of the day. Since she mostly instructs classes for children, her work day is structured around the times children can take classes which means she usually starts late afternoon and works well into the evening, sometimes as late as 8pm. Before work (7am-3pm-ish), she is full-time mom. She is industrious, dedicated, and very good at what she does.

My wife gets very defensive when I have repeatedly expressed my sadness that I get very limited time with her, usually not until 7 or later. She is simply exhausted by the time she gets home so our time together is usually spent decompressing. Our weekends are great but just too short!

We could probably make it on one income if we needed to. But it would involve tightening our belts and prolonging moving into a house that is more suitable for our future family size. I think my wife would not like this any more than I do.

My wife says that she doesn't enjoy working so late but that is the nature of her work and there isn't anything she can do about it. She also confesses that this is demanding work and she doesn't want to be doing it forever. However, she doesn't have any experience doing anything else and I have no idea what kind of alternative employment she could find.

I love my wife to death. I hate the fact she is having to work. I feel guilty. But at the same time, I feel that responsible adults should be employed. (exceptions for extreme caretaker responsibilities, i.e. 3+ kids, senior care, etc) Deep within, I feel that my wife should have chosen a better career that is more suitable for family life. On the same exact note, I feel that I should earn more money that she should not have to work at all.

Should I feel guilty that I expect my wife to work? Is it wrong that I am disappointed by the idea that I will have to sacrifice luxuries like nicer cars and vacations because my wife chose a line of work that involves sports rather than any other office job?

I am willing to sacrifice everything for the benefit of my family, especially my children, and I just secretly wish my wife would change gears and try to pursue another career path rather than just throwing her hands up and saying "well, I'm too old to do this any longer". Personally, I would rather go find a second source of income (2nd job, etc) if she quit working rather than sacrifice things like vacations, etc.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment