Pages

Search blog and web

Has your child ever been made uncomfortable by a friend they think is gay?

My daughter (14) has a group of 4 best friends, including her. One of them whom she likes very much (as a friend) really makes her feel uncomfortable with how obsessed she is with her and she thinks she might actually like her in a way she does not reciprocate, because she is not gay. My daughter suffers from anxiety to begin with (and this girl also has issues, like cutting and an alleged attempted suicide....not confirmed to me by any adult) and this really worries her. She's missing her (the friend's) birthday party tonight because she (my daughter) is ill--she has a fever--and she's so afraid her friend will take it personally because she can sense she makes her uncomfortable. My daughter goes so far as to make sure she pulls away from EVERYone of her friends when they try to hug or or whatever so this one friend doesn't feel bad/singled out. I could give specific examples of why my daughter feels this way, but I don't feel like typing it all out and it really doesn't matter. She feels what she feels. I went through this in college with a female friend so I understand. Just can't really imagine having to deal with it in 8th grade :(. She loves this friend....as a friend.....

Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do?

Also, they go to Christian school so of course that presents a LOT more issues. My daughter told me today she's "homophobic." I asked her what that meant and she said, "well, I just feel that being gay is wrong. A sin." I said, "Well, lots of Christians believe that way, and the Bible does talk about it, but people can't choose that....they are born that way, and if you're a person who feels gay and also believes it is a sin, can you imagine how hard that would be to deal with? You still need to treat those people with the same love and respect as everybody else."

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment