Pages

Search blog and web

To Marry or Not to Marry - That is the Question

I am in my early thirties and have been with my current partner for 5 years. The first two years were of a close, intimate friendship, followed by a slowly evolving strong relationship. We live together.

In most ways, that I can think of we have a great relationship. He is supportive and is the household manager in the relationship. He has been supportive to me through chronic illness (now much improved). He is financially responsible and frugal and we are both reasonably good savers. He has a great sense of humor, keeps me laughing. The sex is great and we are always touching.

We have both expressed that we would like to spend the rest of our lives together & we make plans that reflect that. However, he does not want to get legally married EVER, whereas I really do. I think marriage would demonstrate a stronger level of commitment. He thinks it's an antiquated institution & has strange anxieties about it that I don't understand.

He has asked if I would leave him over this. I have said I wouldn't because I question the sense in ending a strong, loving relationship over this issue. However, I did tell him that I might resent him - and I feel like I do.

Today, some annoying woman was going on and on asking me about "when I would get married & why I wasn't giving my partner an ultimatum." As irritated as I was with her, I find myself resenting him for putting me in this predicament.

This is just a rant I guess. Are there any other happily unmarried couples out there with stories or advice to share?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment