Pages

Search blog and web

Husband just got a new job!!

So my husband just got a new job and its official... he starts Monday! Its a local truck driving job and he will be starting off at $16 an hour, and after a year of working there he will be making $20 an hour... plus health insurance benefits. We are so excited. I think my husband is even more excited than I am.

For the first 8 weeks, he will be on "trial". This means that he will not be considered a full time employee until the 8 weeks are up... so its really in his best interest to try to do the best that he can possibly do over these next couple of months, to make sure the company confident that they hired the right person for the job.

The thing is, my mother in law called my husband today and said they are having a family reunion. His family lives about 400 miles away, so if he wanted to go, he would have to take at least 2 days off in order to give him enough time to drive down there and back. She said the reunion will be in a couple of weeks.... my husband told her that hes going to ask his boss if he can take a couple of days off so he can go to it... but he said that if his boss says that it will be a problem and he doesn't want him to go, then he wont go.... he just wants to ask to see what his chances are.

I think this is a bad idea. If I were him, I wouldn't risk doing or saying anything that might possibly get anyone's bad side... I think these first 8 weeks are especially crucial and I think he needs to make a good impression. If I was his boss and one of my employees asked me for some time off to go to a family reunion when he had only been working there for a couple of weeks, it might lower my opinion of him. I mean if its only his second week and he already wants time off, it would make me question whether he really wanted the job or not.

He hasnt been to a family reunion in a while but it hasnt been long since he has visited his family. Its only been maybe a month or two since he has seen his parents and his brothers... there might be some people at the reunion like cousins, aunts, uncles, etc.. that he hasnt seen in a while but I dont understand why he cant just wait until the next time that they have a family reunion.

It would be one thing if it was a life changing event like if he was having a baby or getting married.... but I just dont think that a family reunion is worth risking giving his boss a bad impression of him. It wont be long and he will have vacation days that he can use.... he can wait and go see his family then.

He says his boss seems really laid back and that he doesn't seem like he would get riled up easily... that may be true. He may not SHOW my husband that hes disappointed in him, but that still doesn't mean that he won't be thinking it. His logic is "Im just going to ask! Im not going to go if he says he doesnt want me to".... but I think it looks bad to even ask.

What do you think? Would you ask for time off from work on your second week just to go to a family reunion?? Do you think I should try to convince him not to?

Its just that we're both so excited and this is such a good job.... hes been looking for a job like this for a while and it finally happened.... I just don't want him to blow it.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment