Pages

Search blog and web

Mum in denial about me being gay

Basically, I came out to my parents a year ago. I'm from a middle class, non-religious, educated family and I honestly thought I had nothing to fear from telling my parents. Turns out it was a total shock to both of them, which was surprising as people can normally guess that I'm gay. It's not that I'm camp or anything but people say they could guess when they met me and I expected that my parents had guessed too.

Anyway, both my parents came from religious families. My mum's side is pretty standard Catholic but my dad comes from a really extreme branch of Christianity that doesn't permit drinking and requires church attendance like five days a week. As far as I could tell, my mother was tolerant and progressively minded. I therefore imagined that if any issues did exist they would come from my dad. I couldn't have been more wrong. My dad, as far as I could tell, was fine about it and hasn't brought it up since.

My mum, on the other hand, was different. She's clinging onto this idea that "it's just a phase" and thinks I shouldn't give up hope on settling down with a woman at some point. I've always emphasised that it's not a choice and tried explaining that it's down to biological factors and she just dismisses it with anecdotal stories of people who have "turned." I've told her that I think it's a generational gap and her Catholic upbringing has something to do with it but she denies that. I don't know what else I can say, I can't exactly give her false hope. The fact that it's been a year and she still can't accept that it's something that's not going to change is so frustrating and makes me wonder if she ever will.

The thing she doesn't understand is that I've just liked guys for as long as I can remember. She's also determined that I don't tell anyone else, because "it's my private business" and shares her concerns about my safety in relationships (which she strangely doesn't have for my heterosexual brother) all the time. At the same time, she doesn't have problems telling people about my soon-to-be-arrested brother's issues. I'm therefore struggling to conclude anything other than that she's slightly homophobic and ashamed of it getting out.

I'm discreet about it in that I don't announce I'm gay when I meet someone but if someone asks me I don't deny it. There's nothing wrong with me and I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I'm at a Russel Group University doing a respectable course, I've got a great social life, I'm healthy and I also happen to be gay. I've got great friends who don't care and neither has anybody else I've told. I therefore don't know what problem my mother has. :(

tl;dr My mum's known I'm gay for a year and can't accept it. She's the only person I've ever told who's got an issue and I just don't get it.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment