Pages

Search blog and web

How to tell my parents I'm an atheist?

I need some advice, as--while this seems kind of insignificant--this is probably the hardest thing I've ever told my parents. I grew up in a loving and moderately-conservative Christian home. I had a great childhood, and have a great relationship with my parents... I don't want to hurt that relationship.

I'm an atheist, and have come to this disbelief through a long journey of searching and reasoning. But I need to tell them, mainly because I value honesty and I also need to be honest with myself around them.

Should I send them an email, and explain, in very kind terms what I've come to believe, or should I do this over the phone (we live a long ways apart)? The phone, I think, would be hard, because they might automatically start getting emotional and not let me explain my reasons.

I don't want to change their minds, nor do I want them to try and change me (although they will try out of love, because, by their religion, I will now "burn"). It's hard thing, and I'm not sure what to say... I wish I could put it off, but I can't. :(




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment