Pages

Search blog and web

My boyfriend's parents love me...a bit too much?

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend and I have been dating for almost a year, we've known each other for about 2 years.

I really love him, we've never had any arguements, or fights, we support each other in whatever we do, we are very committed and generally we are very hapy.
He is doing his second year at Oxford, and I'm just starting uni.

However we come from very different backgrounds.
His family, very wealthy, successful parents, very supportive,friendly and loving.

My family, rather poor, struggling, parents aren't very friendly (even towards him) and have never really helped me morally,emotionally or financially. Since I was 16 I've been working different part time jobs, helped my parents pay bills, never asked them for money. Now I'm going to uni in London, and I'm on government grants, scholarships and loans.

His parents know my situation I guess. They know that the past year has been a massive stuggle for me in terms of dating their son (my parents were really against it and don't really like the idea of us dating), they know that I don't get on with my family and they know my financial situation.
So whenever they get an opportunity, they try to help me. E.g. they've been offering to pay for my accommodation, or pay for my transport expenses, or pay various deposits or try to drag me to expensive boutiques dress-shopping, etc.

I've been saying "NO" to everything so far, but every time I do, his mum just looks and sounds so hurt. She really wants to help me with my transport expenses before the term starts and while I'm still getting used to the city and while I haven't received my funds (she used to live in London herself and knows it very well).
They are trying to make feel like a member of their family in everything they do, and it's extremelly nice of them, because only after meeting them, I began to realise what it really means to have a family. Also his mum always wanted a daughter and I think, she trying to treat me like one.

I really don't know what to do! They are such lovely people and I love them to bits, but spending their money simply makes me feel quite uncomfortable. I'm not used to people helping me!!
I understand that for them £250, is not really money at all, it's nothing! But it still makes me feel uncomfortable...

Please no nasty comments (I feel crap enough) but let me know your thoughts on this.




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment