Pages

Search blog and web

Need some advice on what to do

My girlfriend of over 2 years is involved in some serious family drama right now. I do not want to go into details because of the nature of the situation, but her sibling was involved in a fight that caused serious injury to the other person, and the sibling could be in serious legal trouble.

How this ties into the relationship....an article was published about the fight on a newspaper's web site. In the comments section, there were many very negative and cruel comments. I know the person involved and had a different take on what happened. Reading these comments made me very angry. I ended up creating a username and posting a few comments of my own to defend the sibling. Sibling saw the comments and called my girlfriend, thinking that there was a witness who could testify for him. She read the comments and apparently recognized my writing. She then called me and told me how stupid it was for me to do that and that it was "the last straw."

We have had problems in our relationship, which were mostly my fault. Both of us drink regularly. We've had a couple of disagreements where I lost my temper and yelled at her. On one occasion, we went out for dinner and drinks and tried to catch a cab after. The cab driver was very rude and did not want to pick us up because his shift was almost over, or something - I don't remember all of the details. I was drunk and I slammed my fist on the hood of his car as he drove away. There was another incident where the girl and I got into an argument and I threw her cell phone across the room.

She brought all of this stuff up the other night and said that she started to lose feelings for me after the cell phone incident, which happened over a year ago now. She said that posting comments on the web site was the "last straw" for her because she thought that I was meddling in her family's business and creating more drama for them instead of being supportive to her during a tough time.

I met with her yesterday afternoon and tried to get her to reconsider. She wouldn't do it. About four hours later, around 11 at night, she called me, crying, and asked me to come to her house. I came over. She was a mess and very upset about the family drama. I consoled her and we ended up spending the night together at her place - but nothing happened.

This morning, she said that she still hadn't changed her mind about our relationship.

I told her that it was my fault, that I had not been paying attention to what was important, and that my priorities were screwed up. Also that I was fairly certain all of the bad fights/arguments were the result of both of us drinking too much, and that I wanted to change that.

I said that I felt that I had failed her and our relationship, and I wanted an opportunity to make things right. Would she consider taking a few days or even a week off, and then we can start again on a fresh slate? She said that she did not know if she could do that, but she would think about it and that she has not made a final decision about whether she wants to be with me.

I really feel like I am bearing the brunt of the family drama. At one point she even said, "I can't break up with my family but I can break up with you."

Do you think that if I give this a few days and give her some space, she will come around and realize that perhaps her anger towards me was misplaced? Or do you think that she is just trying to be nice and avoid a confrontation by telling me that she will "think about it"?




ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 2629984

No comments:

Post a Comment