Pages

Search blog and web

A climate-friendly lifestyle and it's impact on the marriage

Canon in D asked me a question about how we came across our lifestyle and thinking about it I realized how much I love my husband because I felt all the love and adoration I had for him when we first married again.

So my hubby and me follow a somewhat climate-friendly lifestyle. I would not even say we are true-blue but we try. We sometimes use cloth diapers and sometimes disposables, grow some of our own food, sometimes bake our own bread, sometimes use cloth wipes instead of paper and so on.
We eat vegan one day per week because it produces less carbon monoxide than conventional food.
One reason for our lifestyle is concern for the environment, the other is money.

We did not really talk about which lifestyle we wanted before we married. I remember how I discovered my husband did use reusable cloth wipes and I thought it was a cool thing to-do. We also watched some documentaries about our environmental impact.


Hubby is a junk-food king, he loves chocolate and caffeine and sweets.
We were not married very long when hubby decided to buy a flour mill and told me it was fun if we could grind our own flour (from wheat we bought) and bake a bread. Now we did that together and it was so much fun and also great to watch my husband eat something healthful. I am a little healthnut and constantly worried about his health.

Then hubby watched "an inconvenient truth" together with a friend... and he wanted me to watch it and after we did we talked about it... and thought of ways to become more eco-friendly.

I think the first impulse came from hubby but I liked to be one his team, learn about our environmental impact, watch him eat healthy food. I enjoyed listening to him talk about this because he knows so much.

Our first child arrived... I started feeling overwhelmed, but still gave my best.
When our kid started eating solid food he wanted us to feed him only homegrown stuff but often that would mean cooking twice (because infants do not tolerate the same foods as grown-ups). So I started sometimes feeding him organic baby-food I bought which cost an arm and a leg and hubby complained.
Now I am just introducing solid food my second child and again he complains.

Hubby worked more and more because he wants to have a career, but started working in his job at a "mature age" campared to his workmates who start younger and he feels like he has to work his ass off, also did some advanced training in his job.
At the same time he became more eco-friendly, while working more and more in his job... and also nagging me a lot. We sometimes use cloth wipes around the house, but we often do use disposable baby-wipes but every time I ask him to buy them he tells me he is convinced they won't rot in a thousand years and pollute our planet forever.

I feel like the lifestyle is too much work and I am angry because I feel he never works on it and he is also inconsequent. He wants our toddler to eat home made bread but feeds him chocolate.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment