Pages

Search blog and web

Son's Report Card - I Am Second Guessing Myself and Need Help

Let's start this with I was a gifted student and athlete. Everything came easy and natural to me. My parents never once had to help me with anything (homework, sports, etc.) as I was driven. My wife gifted as well. We both went on to college and she is now a pharmacist and I own an engineering firm.

This brings me to my son. My son is the sweetest most unselfish boy on this Earth and I love him more than anything. However, his work ethic is to be desired and I have noticed his reading and reading comprehension skills to be far lower than mine when I was his age.

I get his third grade report card and he gets a D in reading. I take away video games for two weeks and give him a tongue lashing. I do not take him off the football team as I think removing sports will do more harm than good. Anyway....after a while and the punishment is over I see some test scores and see another D on a reading test. I am instantly furious and take the video games and television away until I can see his grades on the next upcoming report card. I tell him if he gets another D then he can forget about getting these privileges back. My voice is raised this entire time as I am angry. He is crying and it breaks my heart to see him cry.

I just don't want to cause any emotional trauma to my son but I even more do not want to coddle or enable him. Parenting is hard work....lol.

Advice please....I am all ears.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment