Pages

Search blog and web

Dating and Recovery

I am new to dating sober. It seems everyone out there needs to be drunk, or at least have a few drinks, before they will "let their hair down".

So far, the most frustrating experience i have had is a woman telling me that I had everything she was looking for in a quality partner:

Good job
Good father
No criminal record (not even speeding thickets)
Responsible
Honest
Loyal

Yet, as soon as I told her I was active in AA, suddenly those qualities weren't enough.

I understand there is a stigma attached to alcoholism, even for a recovering alcoholic. I just don't get the ignorance about it.

Diabetics take insulin, there are drugs for HIV, hell even people that have had STD's get well and no one bats an eye. Yet a recovering alcoholic working a program and maintaining sobriety is stigmatized.

Did you know the recently appointed "Drug Czar" is a recovering alcoholic with 25 years sober? Gerard Butler the actor has been sober for 15 years and Jamie Lee Curtis is sober as well. Do you have to be a f'n celebrity or a politician for people to give you a chance?

Thus endeth the pity party and begins some 10th step work.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment