Pages

Search blog and web

Marriage should be like a cellphone contract?

I've been thinking long and hard about marriage, and part of me wishes marriage could be like a cellphone contract. You sign up for a 3 year contract, and at the end of 3 years, you go month-to-month, and both parties (you and the partner) should intentionally agree for another 3 years, or the marriage ends.

Sounds harsh, I know, but I think there is a huge perception from many people (men and women) that once you get married, you don't have to keep trying to retain the other partner.

My soon-to-be-ex was a hottie when we met, going to the gym and keeping herself in great shape, dressing very sexy. Once we got married, she let herself go more and more over time. Soon she became severely overweight, despite not having to work, especially while our child was going to school full time. She chose to stay home and do crafts, make rubber band bracelets, and watching reality TV instead of going to the gym to get fit, or learn how to cook healthy foods. She preferred mac and cheese and ramen noodles, or just go out to grab food.

I became resentful over time, and hated that the marriage trapped us, and I had to be the bad guy to break the marriage. I love her family and friends, and they all love me, and think I'm such a great guy to stay with her despite her worsening physical condition. What a great martyr I have been... :mad:

So to me, marriage should be a limited term contract, where both partners needs to try to retain each other or the contract will automatically void.

This might not be a popular view or politically acceptable, but seeing 50% + divorce rate, I truly think this should be the way marriage should be modified.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Turn off or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment