Pages

Search blog and web

Finding it hard to make friends

Hello everyone. I'm in my first year at university and I moved from America to England in September. I'm not here through a study abroad program or ERASMUS, so I came here literally knowing nobody and am 100% on my own.

Back home I have so many friends that I find myself socializing with different people multiple times a day and going to lots of parties. My friends and I frequently have spontaneous gatherings at parks, their home, or some other social venue. But ever since I moved here, I'm lucky to have two days a week where I actually spend time socializing with people outside of university. This is really awful for me as I am an extremely social person.

I don't really click with the people on my graphic design course (there are 80 of us) and all of our schedules are really different due to the nature of the course. I know this sounds like a generalization, but I've noticed that English people are so reserved to the point where it's extremely hard to even make a dent towards friendship. My best friend here is a girl from America (go figure) and we always party with other international students. I've found that other international students are much more open and friendly than the locals.

I live in a flat with two Chinese people, who stick with each other for the most part, a guy from Cyprus who I rarely see, and a girl from Estonia. The girl from Estonia and I got along fine at first, but we quickly realized we had almost nothing in common. So our flat isn't a very social place.

Maybe I'm hanging around the wrong people, but it seems like nobody wants to hang out unless it involves getting drunk and going out to a club. I partied a lot before I moved here, so it's not really that important or fun to me anymore. That is, unless a band or DJ comes around that I actually like, which hasn't happened yet. All of my favorite bands and DJs come to London which is hours away.

Anyway, I'm going home again in 7 weeks and it cannot come soon enough. I'm almost dreading having to be stuck here until 2016! :( Does anyone else feel the same way? Will it get better? I'm almost finished with my first year and I only have one person I can actually call my friend.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

via Personal Recipe 2629979

No comments:

Post a Comment