Pages

Search blog and web

Always running late.

Hey everybody,

I've been doing some intensive self-work recently and something interesting came up.

I am the guy who is always late and I'd like to change this. Always late for work, for meetings, for friends, appointments, etc...

Some people equate being punctual with respect. To me it's never been the case. So you're late, so what? Why can't we grant more grace? Whenever someone has been late I never get angry or anxious. It never bothers me when others are late, but that could be because I nearly always am. Being late does not stress me out. I usually don't care until someone complains.

I really struggle with this. Either I am super early or late. I can't do the on time thing. I don't believe anymore it's simple math in calculating time and distance and if it is, well, I am horrible at that. There always seems to be something that happens every morning. Watering plants, losing my keys, sleeping in too much, traffic jams, problems parking, etc... I'm not careless nor scatterbrained, but I think I am much more selfish then I previously thought.

I don't value people's time. I truly don't care, but I want to. My time, my life, me first, you know? I know I know I am not more important or better than anyone, but I know for a fact that I'd never take a bullet for someone. Your life your problem, no? I lack empathy. I could probably watch someone get hurt and try to find something funny about it. I am starting to see people can tell that I am insensitive and ruthless. Not cold (I laugh a lot and am very relaxed), but ruthless.

I think that justification that "I always come first" stems somewhere from childhood. I am trying to figure out situations that would create that sort of feeling/attitude to trace it back. I know it's a combination of selfishness & lack of empathy for others because I am never late when I have to go to an airport, job interview or for things that mean a lot to me. Also, part of me doesn't mind making people wait.

I want to change this way I feel, but don't know where to start. Any ideas?

Thanks!

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment