Pages

Search blog and web

ADHD Drug Addiction?? Is that possible??

I am starting to think that my husband's ADHD drugs are ruining our marriage. Is it possible to get addicted to ADHD drugs? Do these drugs change behavior for the worse?

My husband has been taking ADHD drugs (first Adderall, then Vyvanse) for a couple of years now. His behavior on the drugs is troubling: although he's super calm and focused after taking them, in the evening he becomes hostile, paranoid, and just really strange. Not himself at all. He has been up very late, on his computer (I can only guess about what he's up to there), or pacing the hallways, or writing long, rambling, incoherent letters. In the past, when his dosage of Adderall was sky high (he needed a special doctor's note to get it filled), he left me (while accusing me of trying to control and manipulate him...he had a bit of a psychotic break and did all sorts of weird things), had two affairs, and got into all sorts of trouble. We reconciled a few months later and he stopped the meds and vowed to commit to the marriage again, but 1 year later, he started "sneaking" ADHD meds (Vyvanse this time).

I can't go through this again: I'm just waiting for the past to repeat itself and either wondering why I'm putting up with this or wondering why I can't be more supportive. He claims that the drugs are in no way influencing his behavior, but I just don't think that's the case (obviously, drugs influence behavior, even prescribed ones). By asking him to stop, am I not supporting his ADHD treatment (which is true: I don't want him on these drugs)? I don't know how hard to push this, but it feels like a deal-breaker to me.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment