Pages

Search blog and web

The bully card

Bah! Fking six year old politics, and I have to get involved with all this crap...

SITUATION:

Been hearing (again) that my daughter has been bullying other kids in school and in church, and ex-wife has been having trouble dealing with it or so she told me, and insisted on me disciplining her and undermining her priviledges. This has happened before but it did not get so serious, and based on the outcome last time my ex-wife concluded that I've been encouraging our daughter's bad behaviour.

BACKGROUND:

The thing is - she gets on very well with most other kids, other kids parents too and teachers - she's quite loved - something I'm proud of. We have dealt with these accusations of "bullying" in the past, and it became a joke to me - I just see her as standing up for herself, ex abided by my decision at that time. Anyway with all this talk of "she's picking on other kids", I went to investigate, also out of my daughter's behest, ex-wife thought it inappropriate but fk that, she's my daughter too! We had a short quarrel amongst ourselves but it's unimportant (and I'm admittedly a bit hurt she thought it 'inappropriate' - is my presence THAT bad to her?)

BTW ex-wife also mentioned that the stories are consistent between the school and church - keep this in mind...

And well...

INVESTIGATION:

I was with the kids during sunday school when I told my daughter to invite the bullied kid into her little group and she did with zero hesitation yet the kid didn't want to. I knew my daughter may probably be on just her 'best behavior' so I talked to the sunday school teacher and she hates my daughter's guts, saying that she was quiet when I was there but when I'm not she's a smartass, talks back, and is trouble for her as she encourages other kids to talk back. The thing is - I'm not so sure I buy the whole "talking back" thing, I encourage her to question everything, she's very inquisitive and I want this trait to stay (other teachers even love it as she gets the kids involved!). Hell I only agreed to church as she has lots of friends there too!

I don't fully buy that my daughter is rude to her teacher either, she can be a smartass sure but not rude and another teachers told me the same, except even those who defended her told me she does have a habit of interrupting. I talked to her about that later but anyway... then she says that that my daughter teases, name-calls and what not to that kid. So I turned to the kid's parents after, consistent story.

I had a sitdown with my daughter and her side of the story is that this kid's a poor sport like A/B (we've been through this before in the past with other kids - similar story, other times she had unintentionally hurt other kids feelings but meh) and that's why she and her friends don't want to play with him anymore. When I asked her friends they lied to me at first about the bullying before my daughter stepped in and got them to tell me the 'truth' - hell quite frankly I didn't know how much of a pack leader she truly was until today!

They told me that they have tried to get him to play with them but whenever he does, he plays by his rules and whines until they comply or practically kicks them out of the grounds and if he can't - he 'dobs in' for bullying. That's the only consistent information, some tried to make up some bullsh-t that is probably to exaggerate the situation but I don't believe them. Anyway from what they told me it seems he's being picked on for that. The stories are consistent (mostly minus the bullsh-t, daughter didn't confirm or deny their stories), in the end I don't think this is a ploy these kids are up to. I didn't say anything to her friends about their bullying (or their attempts to lie to my face), not my responsibility, but I did promise them not to snitch to their parents.

The sunday school teacher said she would look into the boy's behavior but I'm not holding my breath based on how much she seems to hate my daughter - as I'm getting the impression she's being picked on herself by a teacher who hates her, I remember several messed up teachers when I grew up too - mostly racists. Also seeing how she's a pack leader it seems she's being held responsible for alot of the other kids behavior - I just don't believe that's fair on my daughter. There were also other mixed opinions and others who went "not my problem" within the church.

So ok, ex-wife was right -> name-calling, excluding the kid and ganging up on the kid is confirmed, daughter HAS been a bully. But the reasons?

OPINION:

Ex-wife told me I'm enabling her by not disciplining my daughter for her behavior but I don't believe she needs to be disciplined for this, ex said that the stories from church are consistent with the complaints from the school and hell I just turned around and told her if that's the case then I would be standing up for her at school as well. I just don't see why my daughter needs to be disciplined. Sure the name calling and ganging up on the kid is wrong but should I punish her for standing up for herself and her friends? Should kids get a bully card to pull every now and then to get their way? Should I enable THAT KID's behaviour and others like him?

That's IF - what my daughter and friends say is true, the kid didn't play ball when I made my daughter offer her hand out after all. And as mentioned their stories are also consistent, I don't think they are making it up, so it's not like this kid was being picked on for the usual childish things that I would consider REAL bullying.

OUTCOME:

Anyway we needed a compromise as there's no way we could leave this unresolved and break our united front (not to mention I'm bloody considering reconciliation!!!) We still don't agree with each other but we did drop our disciplinary plans and I also compromised on my part by telling her off myself, told her that ganging on that kid was wrong, and that if the kid wants to take over the playground let him, as everyone already knows he's a poor sport so she doesn't have to prove anything, and that other kids listen to her so instead of joining in she should get them to stop picking on him as well, to just avoid him, no need to pick on him or be mean to him, and maybe he'll come around to play properly if everyone wasn't so mean. I also told her not to interrupt her teachers in school and in church.

She seemed to have understood (I hope) and gave us her word that she'll stop her bullying in church and in school as well, cried and I hugged her as I told her we weren't going to take away her privileges as long as she keeps her promise, and that we both still love her, right now she's feeling a little down after being told off but seems relieved at least. It was settled, ex was satisfied, thanked me for supporting her at least. I reminded her we won't always agree with each other but we're still a team.

REFLECTION:

To be honest though I understand my daughter and the other kids, I was forced to tell her off today but that little brat... hell can't imagine raising someone else's kid!!! The consequence of this compromise - if daughter keeps her word - is that now this kid has free reign over all the activities and will be taught that the bully card works! Hell he reminds me of this kid:



Today I also saw how the kids at church were frighteningly loyal to her, but don't know about school where there's a bigger crowd and if she has the guts to stand against her own crowd if stones are thrown, especially if the bullied kids are bullied for a reason. Peer pressure.

My daughter did not lie to me and she has showed me she has nothing to hide, she didn't ask me to church to enable her, she was misunderstood. I don't know... Sometimes I wonder if ex is trying to disciplining our daughter for making her look bad as a parent or is disciplining her because she doesn't want our daughter to bully. I shouldn't be questioning her love for our daughter but she has pissed me off a few times in the past when it comes to parenting. So far will just have to give her the benefit of the doubt.

I don't know, what you guys think? This is making me question the "anti-bullying" guidelines that are standard in modern schools, as well as the "anti-racism" crap we still deal with as adults.

But anyway joked with my daughter that the boy is her future boyfriend though haha, nah screw that, I'll be strangling him if he was to be my future SIL!

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment