Pages

Search blog and web

Separation and Financial Responsibility

So I'm already kicking myself that I didn't do this long ago, I can't turn back time, so please let's not dwell on what I should have done.

Now that my husband and I are separating, and he's left the house, he seems to think he shouldn't be responsible for most of the household finances. I made a spreadsheet of each of our current planned bills (house, car insurance, utilities, daycare, medical insurance for child, etc). It works out to over 1600 from me, and over 700 from him. This has been going on like this for years. He usually pays for groceries, and for eating out. I don't think he's bought diapers in a year. I usually pay for doctor's visits for our daughter.
We make similar money, I make maybe a few more thou a year than him, not much more.
I did share the spreadsheet with him, and he balked.

So now, I wasn't even asking him for more, I just wanted him to continue paying what he was already paying until we get into divorce proceedings. He's expressed to me that he wants to pay for food and clothes for our daughter and that's it. This is nuts, right?

I was really hoping that we'd be able to work together on this stuff for the moment until we were very decided on needing to get the lawyers involved (to save us money). Any thoughts on what I can tell him/share with him to get him to not dump all financial responsibilities on me?

Other circumstance details - he is currently staying with a friend (2 months), he only visits our daughter in our home where she and I are living.

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment