Pages

Search blog and web

New Kitten behavior question

I just adopted a kitten from a shelter yesterday. He is 8 weeks old, full of energy even though he has that feline upper respiratory cold thing, and absolutely adorable!

However, not being very well versed in cat behavior I have some questions.

1. This kitten meows constantly. If he isn't playing or sleeping, he is meowing. He meows when he uses the litter box, when he eats, and when I leave the room he cries mournfully until I come back and pick him up. It's kind of cute, but on day 5 I suspect it will be annoying as hell too. Can anyone suggest an interpretation on why he does this and what if anything I should do?

I'm keeping him confined in my bedroom for a week to ensure litter box usage.

2. Last night we were asleep, with kitten sleeping around my head/neck area, and he woke me with his meowing. He had woken and walked away and jumped off the bed. I got out of bed and found him at the foot of the bed, kind of under the bed. I called to him and he threw up. So I got cleaning stuff, cleaned it up, the whole time he is meowing his head off. Finished clean up and brought his meowing self back to bed. He walked around the bed meowing and then I smelled poo! He had pooped on the bed! The litter box is only 2 feet away and he had used it twice on his own before we went to bed. But he pooped on the bed!
Thoughts on preventing this from happening again?

3. If he were a puppy, he'd be in a crate at night and if need be I'd sleep by the crate to keep him content so he gets used to the crate and can be easily confined. But you're not supposed to crate cats and or kittens are you? I would lock him in a bathroom over night but he freaks when he is alone in the room. Help?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment