Pages

Search blog and web

Younger people and marriage

This topic is being discussed elsewhere, but I thought I'd start a thread here in the Lounge, too...because the other thread is attempting to focus only on why men are not getting married as young, instead of just focused on why PEOPLE are not getting married as young.

I have two adult kids. One got married young, the other is 28 and never married. I wish the one who got married young would not have.

In fact, all of my friends who have kids between 18 - 25 shudder and lament if their kids announce to them that they are getting married. We all pull in and say to each other "ugh, what a pity they can't wait a bit longer so they know themselves better".

I was married the first time at age 20.

I know it was a mistake (for me) to get married that young.

My kid who is not married is male. Not only has he never once mentioned the urge to get married (he talks about it like it is something he "might do one day" and implies it would be 10 years from now or so)....he also has never had any girlfriend suggest or imply she would like to get married. They are young and having fun and sometimes are committed and monogamous, but the young women he has relationships with are in no hurry to get married, obviously.

I know many other young people besides my two kids, and I'm seeing similar with them.

What I do NOT see is young women lamenting that there's no one left to marry. This is make believe drama people have invented.

So I just don't see what the big deal is, and in fact, I see it as progressive thinking to not get married young.

Ikaika posted a great link in the other thread, which I will dig up and post here for those interested in some stats (that were not derived from bogus nonsense).

Thoughts by anyone else?

IFTTT

Put the internet to work for you.

Delete or edit this Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment